This week for the Saturday Seven, here’s my list for my seven favorite characters on the television show M*A*S*H. I don’t remember watching much of the show during the initial run because I wasn’t old enough to view it. Plus, it was on after I went to bed. But in the years since it ended the initial run, I’ve watched the show many times. I love it. It’s like an old friend. I laugh, cry and have to watch until the end. There’s only one other show that catches me the way M*A*S*H does, but that’s for another list.
This isn’t in any particular order. As I’ve been thinking about the characters, it’s hard to whittle them down, much less put them in a countdown order.
7. Frank – The guy was misunderstood and kind of a jerk. Props to the actor who played him. Instead of playing him as a total jerk, he infused some heart into Frank. Okay, the guy had a few contemptible attributes, but who is perfect? Not me.
6. Col Potter – He’s the grandpa I always wanted. I had two grandfathers, but they weren’t as….outwardly caring as Col Potter. Plus, he had a horse. I didn’t want a horse, but I wanted to ride one, just to say I did. (It took until I was a mom and over 25, but I did finally get to ride a horse.)
5. Klinger – how he wore those heels in so many episodes. I give him props for that. I can’t wear heels and I’m supposed to have grace. He rocks.
4. Margaret – she totally grew through the course of the show. I liked how she evolved. She wasn’t just a puppet or arm candy. She came into her own and she embodied strong to me.
3. Henry – when his plane went down, I cried. I cry every time I watch that episode. He made me laugh and I liked his big heart.
2. Trapper – I always thought he was the handsome one. Women liked Hawkeye, but Trapper was the one I liked. It’s his smile.
1. Hawkeye – when I was a kid, I wanted him to be my dad. I don’t know why. He’s a letch on the show, but I liked him.
I know I forgot a few characters. Radar, Father Mulcahy, Charles, BJ… Yeah, I forgot a few. But the list only allows for seven. Grin. What about you? Who would you put in your top seven? Which show would you list characters for? I’m game to know.